Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding
What is it?
The LAP-BAND® System is an adjustable gastric band which is a tool to aid long-term weight loss; it works by inducing a feeling of satiety (a feeling of fullness), therefore patients feel full on a much smaller amount of food. The LAP-BAND® helps patients gradually lose weight without any stomach cutting or stapling, like some other bariatric surgeries.
The LAP-BAND®System has been a proven tool for weight loss since 1994, with over 850,000 procedures performed worldwide.
How does it work?
The LAP-BAND® System is a hollow band (medical prosthesis) that is placed around the upper part of the stomach, and works by applying a constant, gentle pressure to this area. This then sends a signal to the brain that the stomach is full on a smaller amount of food.
The band is attached to an access port, and is inflated with saline (salt water solution) to be adjusted to the individual patients needs.
In most cases, the LAP-BAND® System is put into place during a laparoscopic procedure using general anesthesia. The procedure is performed using long, thin instruments inserted through a few tiny incisions (usually 0.5 – 1.5 cm). Often done on an outpatient basis, the surgery itself typically takes an hour.
Who is it for?
The LAP-BAND® System is for severely obese patients with a Body Mass Index (BMI) greater than 40 or a BMI greater than 35 with significant weight related co-morbidities.
The LAP-BAND® System is indicated for patients with a Body Mass Index (BMI) greater than 35, or a BMI greater than 30 with weight related co-morbidities such as sleep apnoea, type 2 diabates and hypertension, among others.
- Least invasive surgical option
- No intestinal re-routing
- No cutting or stapling of the stomach
- Reduced patient pain, hospital length-of-stay and recovery period
- Academic publications with up to 17 years of follow-up
Fewer Risks and Side Effects
- Significantly lower mortality & complication risk than other obesity surgery procedures
- Low risk of nutritional deficiencies compared to with other obesity surgery procedures
- No "dumping syndrome" related to dietary intake restrictions, compared to other obesity surgery procedures
- Standard of care for hundreds of practices around the world
- Allows individualised adjustment for long-term weight loss
- Adjustments performed without additional surgery
- Supports pregnancy by allowing stomach outlet size to be opened for increased nutritional needs
- Removable at any time
- Stomach and other anatomy are generally restored to their original forms and functions
While the LAP-BAND System is less invasive and offers fewer risks than other surgical procedures, it's important to note all surgical procedures have risks. Possible complications include the risks associated with the medications and methods used during surgery, the risks associated with any surgical procedure, and the patient's ability to tolerate a foreign object implanted in the body. We will discuss these further with you during your consultation.
Winnett Specialist Group do not endorse any products.